Ever wonder where the electricity you use comes from, and how it is produced? Check out the EPA’s Power Profiler! This nifty tool allows you to look up any location (in the US, sorry international readers!) in order to:
- Determine your power grid region based on your ZIP code and electric utility
- Compare the fuel mix and air emissions rates of the electricity in your region to the national average
- Determine the air emissions impacts of electricity use in your home or business
After shocking you with the reality of your impact from electricity use, it shows you some energy efficiency tips. Most importantly, it shows you how you can buy green power in your area through regional Renewable Energy Credit/Certificate programs!
Here’s a summary from my location: Very high coal use, higher than average carbon emission. We are trying to change that!
Check out the Power Profiler tool and let us know what you find out! What did you find most shocking or interesting?
- IEA: Renewables Will Exceed Natural Gas And Nuclear By 2016 (cleantechnica.com)
- Renewables Continue to Outpace Conservative Global Projections (greentechmedia.com)
- Australia’s Carbon Tax – One Year On (wattsupwiththat.com)